Friday, February 8, 2013

The Art of Administration

Today’s post may be very boring for some of you.  If you don’t give a hoot about organization, if words like ‘management’ or’ maintenance’ make you shudder internally, or if you just don’t think that structure and programs are very in tune with the Holy Spirit, then this may not be the post for you.

I only know this because I used to not care, used to shudder, used to think that all things ‘administration’ were of the devil (after all, the devil IS in the details).  Many of you may also chuckle reading this because I work in (gasp!) administration.  The very word is in my job title!  Wonder of wonders, this was not my dream job (however, I have a great boss and co-workers, so it makes it good).

What does this have to do with hiking?  Well, strangely, quite a bit when one will be hiking for 6 months straight.  There’s a heckuva’ lot planning that goes into this.  Not only are there decisions on what gear, how much gear, where to put said gear… but then there’s food.  Do you buy food along the way?  Do you do maildrops?  How much of each?  How many pounds of dehydrated fruit do you really need?  Well, let’s see, ¼ cup for breakfast, another ¼ cup for a snack in your gorp.  OK, multiply that by 150 days (assuming 30 days in towns).  There’s 14 servings per pound of the average dried fruit.  But wait, I want more dried apples than raisins, and definitely need some mangoes and apricots to keep things interesting.  OK, you get the point.  Math + administration = Not my biggest passions in life.


Thanks Mr U. for ordering me the 2013 book!

Currently, I’m going through the trail guide to determine a tentative schedule of where I want to sleep each night, and where I want to tent (near a shelter or not) vs. go into town or stay at a hostel.  Naturally, a lot of this might depend on torrential downpours or horrid heat or those pesky mosquitos.  And I can’t administrate those things.  So, therefore, I try to have a back-up plan.  For example: I’ll hike 24 miles to this campsite, well, unless it’s really hot, rainy, or buggy – then there’s a shelter at only 21 miles that I could get to.  Yup, that’s close enough to still make miles but able to decide depending on weather.  Oh, and if I’m really tired or it’s nasty, there is another cabin at only 11 miles – kind of expensive, but it’ll do if I just need a slower day.  Or am craving a shower.

You get the picture.  There’s an gifting and an art to administration.  And, boy howdy, do I really appreciate people with that gift these days.  Thank God I’ve been in a job for *mumble mumble* years that had ‘administration’ in my job title.  That’s right, I just thanked God for my job in administration!  I don’t think I have the gift naturally, but I’ve been taught the skill over those years.  I’m grateful because, with all this planning right now, I should be able to better flow and roll with the punches weather, insects, injury, and general chaos will bring me and my hiking buddies on the Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment