Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Answer to Prayer

Well, I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I just checked www.mountain-forecast.com for Springer Mountain.  Looks like the weather on our first couple of days hiking will be partly cloudy and fairly cool.  Of course, cool is much nicer than this Wisconsin weather (first day of spring, my foot!).

Lows at night will be in the upper 20's or low 30's, and hiking during the day will be in the upper 30's/lower 40's.  Sure, it's a little chilly, but definitely do-able.  The answer to prayer is that there isn't any rain in the forecast.  With so many new habits and routines needing to be established for "Trail life", I had prayed that God would hold off rain for at least the first night on the Trail.  Looks like He's seen fit to give me that break.

Now, I know that all could change, and if it does, well, it doesn't mean that God is any less good.  It just means... well, it just means it's raining.  There will have to be different routines in setting up camp in the rain than when it's nice, and all that will be a learning curve.

Folks keep asking me if I'm all ready.  Honestly, I feel like I couldn't used one or two more days to just play with my pack in the comfort of my home.  But, alas, that is not to be.  And I probably don't NEED those days - everything is getting done with some long hours.  I'm very glad we aren't leaving any sooner than we are.  But, man am I tired at the moment.

Folks also keep asking me if I'm nervous or excited or if it all feels 'real' yet.  There was a moment two weeks back or so when I hit a wall of absolute freak out.  It was at that moment where I had everything under control - all my gear was pretty much set, dehydrating food was simply a new routine to be done, and I was wrapping up most of my duties from this 'current life'.  And I thought to myself, "Hey you!  Yeah, you on the treadmill.  Who do you think you are anyway?  Think you can hike this whole Trail.  Think you can do this for six months.  Sheesh, you have delusions of grandeur."

I realized that I was transitioning from the planning/preparing stage to the action stage.  You know, the planning stage is a 'safe' place to be.  You can dream, research, talk about, try stuff out - but you can always hit the brakes.  Sure, I had committed to doing the Trail, but so far, all of this had been preparing, planning, figuring it all out, moving forward, but always with the Trail a seeming 'long' ways off.  Then, the day came I couldn't take back my job resignation, I realized my room was emptier since I started putting things in storage, I was having to give up responsibilities and say no to future obligations.  I watched as friends started making plans with me present, but I wasn't a part of them.  That's when I realized, "Holy cow, this is real."

Once I had a moment (or two days) to transition - to really realize the action I was going to take - it all settled.  So, am I excited?  Yes, but at the moment, I can't wait to take a nap on the bus going down to Georgia - I'm tired.  Am I nervous?  *pause*  Probably, but I'm more excited to just get moving.  But then, I  realize how tired I am.

And that makes me thankful it's probably not going to rain on the first night on the Trail because I'm betting I'll need a good night's sleep after this flurry of a week getting last minute preparations done!  Phew!  And Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, the Book of Psalms have a number of verses that may give you comfort during your journey. Here are a few:
    Psalm 91:11
    For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.
    Psalm 139:9-10
    If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.
    Psalm 121:1-8
    A Song of Ascents. I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day,nor the moon by night.The Lord will keep you from all evil;he will keep your life.The Lord will keep
    your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.
    Psalm 119:105
    Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
    May you have a safe journey, and enjoy the beauty that GOD has blessed us with. You are in my prayers. Cuz Paul

    ReplyDelete