Friday, January 18, 2013

Buy THIS!

Everybody’s got opinions.  And that’s a good thing.  I have purchased a lot of my gear based on the opinions of others.  It seems that just when I feel confident that researching and reading reviews and testimonials on a certain something means that I am making the universal best choice for a pair of socks that everyone can agree on, I come across a glaring contradiction.  Someone ELSE has an opinion.  Suddenly, that pair of socks has fallen from grace.  They don’t last.  They are too expensive.  They aren’t eco-friendly enough.  They aren’t light enough.  They aren’t warm enough.  They simply do not measure up in someone’s opinion.

Likewise, we all have opinions on how we hike.  You can hike fast.  You can hike meditatively.  You can hike socially or monastically.  You can hike ultralight.  Or dirt cheap.  Or eco-friendly.  You can hike with all the best gear.  You can hike with great hygiene.  Or be a damn dirty hippie.  But one thing is true.  You can NOT hike ALL of those things at once.

When I first began looking at gear, I wanted small and as light as possible.  Then I realized how expensive that was.  Not to mention the irony in needing to buy all new gear in an effort pare down how much crap I have.   After that, I found a “pat-on-the-back” website for those people who hike the AT for under $3000.  So, I decided to go with dirt cheap and DIY.  Then I had to admit that I just don’t have the know-how to make my own backpack or sleeping bag, nor did I have the time to get myself properly educated before I would have to leave for the trail.  Next, I started finding eco-friendly equipment – recycled polar fleece, non-fossil fuel made fabrics, biodegradable, locally-made, fair trade, etc.  Well, that also has a steep learning curve as well as potentially steep price tag. 

In other words, everything has limitations.  Nothing is enough.  I want an indestructible, waterproof, breathable shelter that can fit 2 people plus gear, and keep me safe from ticks, mosquitos, mice, and bears.  And I want it made with all natural materials by a local artisan.  And I want it under 1.5 pounds.  And under $100.  Are you laughing at me yet?  You should be. 

I’ve got limitations too.  I cannot be all things to all people in every moment.  And that doesn’t make me less lovable, less acceptable, or less worthy.  I love Smartwool socks – my feet are happy every time I put them on.  The person I talked to at REI last week hates them.  But that person’s disdain does not lessen Smartwool’s lovability, acceptability, or worthiness in my eyes.  Even if they are more expensive than other socks, even if they don’t last as long as other socks, I will still love them.  And tell everyone they should buy Smartwool too.  That’s my opinion.  I guess it just depends on whether you trust me enough to buy into Smartwool as much as I do.

So, last thought on this.  Given my limitations and imperfections, I am clearly not the be-all, end-all.  But that does not make me less lovable, acceptable, or worthy in God’s opinion.  The question is will I trust God’s opinion of me enough to buy into me as much as He does?  Or will I constantly strive to be… enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment