Friday, January 25, 2013

Yikes!

So, last night, I spent several hours putting everything together that I thought I would bring.  It didn't seem like much when I laid it all out in little, various colored stuff sacks on the floor.  I was quite proud of myself. 

Then I put it all in my pack.  That wasn't so bad except I was somewhat surprised at how quickly it filled up.  I got everything in - including food and water (as if I had just stocked up on both), but it was REALLY stuffed full.  I couldn't quite get the top shut all the way.  But you couldn't tell once I put the small pouch over the top.

OK, not too bad, right?  I mean, once I get used to packing things every day, I'll become more efficient.  I'll find all those little wasted places that I could put something small.  I already recognized that I could put things in smaller bags and that would pack easier.  So, I didn't panic until...

I tried to lift the pack to my back.  Holy. Freakin'. Cow.  Huh.

My denial was telling me that I just needed to do more push up's because CLEARLY, I wasn't used to lifting 30-33 pounds.  Um, yeeeeaaaaaah.

Then I got on the scale.  What the...?!?!?!  42 pounds.  Yup, my pack was 42 pounds.  I've been talking a good game all along thinking I'd be at 30 pounds.  I've been walking on the treadmill with about 22 pounds, and I'd up that amount here soon.  Yeah, you bet I'll be upping it if I gotta carry 42 pounds.  Did anyone else notice that's almost double what I'm on the treadmill with now?  Yeah, I noticed.

So, what to do?  Well, I've decided I just have to go with a down sleeping bag, and I'll figure out how to keep it dry.  That'll save me over 1 pound.  I can get a silk liner instead of the really comfy fleece one - that saves me almost 1/2 a pound.  Do I really need that 2nd layer of insulation?  Leave the gloves - use socks on the hands - it's only until they get warmed up anyway.  And really, I never use Pepto Bismol OFF the trail.  What makes me think I'll need it ON the trail?  (No, I'm taking Pepto, maybe a few less tablets though.)

I had just decided I would take my slightly heavier, but much more comfier, air mattress instead of the hard closed cell foam sleeping pad.  Why?  Because I sleep SOOO much better on the air mattress.  But now... gotta rethink that.  That is almost a pound.

I say all of that to say this... sleeping bag #5 is being shipped to me as we speak.  Thank God for REI's return policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment