Saturday, July 20, 2013

Us vs. Them

I'm a thru-hiker.  That means that I have developed the ability to tell the difference between a day-hiker, and a thru-hiker that is simply being slackpacked (they don't have all their gear on them because someone is meeting them up the trail with it).  Often, it's my nose that tells me the difference.  I can smell the laundry detergent on a day hiker; it's slightly less strong on a short section hiker.  But I'm a thru-hiker:  I haven't showered in 6 days, haven't touched laundry detergent in 10, have hiked in 90 degree weather that entire time.  My backpack straps have a white dusting of dried sweat, well, when it has a chance to dry.  And I'm pretty darn proud of that stench.  It means something out here on the Trail.  It means I'm a thru-hiker.

I'm not sure if it's jealousy or pride (or both) that makes us thru-hikers become derisive to section hikers.  Don't get me wrong - we don't mock them to their faces.  But, man, do we have this condescending attitude toward day or section hikers.  It's like we're better because we've hiked a few more hundred miles, or because we stink more, or because we're less hygenic.  It's a badge of honor to have departed from such social niceties.  We joke with each other because we have truly turned into a spectacle - like the bears and other wildlife.  We like that we are "different."

OK.  That's part of being in community.  We DO have all of that sweat, hiker GI issues, lack of hygiene, ticks and mosquitoes in common.  And, oh yeah, we're all hiking 2,185.9 miles.  We have quite a bit in common.  And that binds us together. 

The other day, a few of us "really cool" thru-hikers passed two day hikers.  They were moving VERY slow, they were overweight, wearing cotton (another sign of a day hiker), had a daypack that weighed half of one of our backpacks (i.e. they were carrying WAAAAAY too much).  I could feel, in myself and my companions, the "better than thou" attitude.  Obviously, these two weren't going to hike ALL they way to Maine.  Heck, they may not even make it back to their car.   Ha. Ha. Oy.

Yup, sad to admit, we made fun of the day hikers.  Not to their faces, and I pray to God they didn't overhear, but many of us tend to talk fairly loud.  And that's when it dawned on me.  I'm a hiker snob!!!!!!  I get so upset when people are snobs for anything else - sports, food, drinks, especially religion.  And here I am being no better.

So I spoke up.  I said, "Hey, at least those two got their asses off the couch and are out here.  They are enjoying the outdoors in the way that they can.  And if we make fun of them, how can we expect them to EVER consider possibly trying to thru-hike?  Hell, why would they WANT to hang out with hiker trash like us?"  Sorry, mom, my language has devolved.  Ahem.

So, now, when I smell laundry detergent on the Trail, I try to make a point to say hi, ask about their hike, tell them it's awesome they've made the time they do have to be out here.  If they're hiking the opposite direction, I'll ask about the Trail coming up, so they can tell ME, a thru-hiker, something I don't know.  I mean, if I came out here to be an oasis to others, then that should include day and section hikers.  They need grace and unconditional acceptance just as much as the next person.  After all, it was only 4 months ago that I was "just" a day hiker.  And technically, I'm stilly "just" a section hiker.  I won't be a thru-hiker until I get to Katahdin.  I can't believe that I was that heiniously snobbish. 

In fact, there are some thru-hikers that may not consider me worth of that title because I've yellow-blazed, I've slackpacked (both north and south bound - not sure why that makes a difference, but it does).  I'm not good enough in some eyes because I'm not ultralight enough with my gear, I don't hike big enough miles, etc. etc.  There are always reasons to differentiate "us" from "them".  But really, is there any difference? 

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff...keep it coming when you can. Praying for you my friend. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete