Sunday, April 7, 2013

Misc updates about my hike

So much has happened since my last post.  I split from my original hiking partners; we had very different ways of hiking, and since rule #1 seems to be "hike your own hike", well, that's what needed to happen.  I met up with 3 folks - Cozy, Harrison, and Megan the 1st night.  But I went further than them the next day.  Now I've been with a group of about 3-8 people that hike separately each day but we usually end up at the same shelter. 

Thursday was a bonding day with them as it was an ice storm.  We hiked 4.5 mile to a shelter and hunkered down in our sleeping bags to keep warm.  Once that happened we were all talking, cracking jokes, singing songs, etc.  The theme song goes something like this: "Hakuna Matata, it means no worries cuz' I've got Jesus... and dry socks."  Yes, it really is the simple things in life. 

Yesterday, I hiked 19.7 miles.  I started out the 1st 4 with Uke - who carries a ukulele with him.  We started at around 1 AM, and went until 4 or 5.  Then, I was having abdominal pain, so Uke decided we had to stop to camp.  We slept for about an hour, after which I felt fine, and when I asked if he wanted to crank out a few more miles in the dark, he said, "mumble, mumble, mumble."  I took that to mean he wanted to keep sleeping.  So I went on and met Bonsai at the shelter.  Today, Uke comes walking into town - he made it!  Very fun to meet up with new friends.  Tonight, I'm staying in an inn so I could get a shower and do laundry and have internet time (and phone signal).  Cutting costs by sharing the room with Bonsai, Uke, and a guy I just met off the shuttle into town named "Mouse".  They are all really nice.  Next door is HoneyBadger, Som'Peach, Indian, and VitaminC.  It's a great group. 

I can't get my card reader to work with this computer so pictures will have to wait yet another time or two.

Gratitude is still running high as we've shared food, clothes, sleeping bags with veritable strangers.  I'm also thankful that my cousin is willing to hike the Trail with me in case I don't want to be alone.  Yes, Ann, I will remember that, and may just take your son up on that.  For now, there's still too many people on the Trail to be alone... unless he just wants to come join the party.  Tell him I'm a bit of a slow hiker :-)  He's probably in better shape than me (and his knees are almost 20 years younger!)

Speaking of which, I am the oldest person out here until you get to the semi- or completely retired folks (55+).  Most folks are 22-26, and then others are in their early 30's.  I met one kid (Jedi) who I have decided I want to have as a little brother (Mom, can we keep him?).  He's a day or two behind me now, but I'm hoping we'll meet up again.  We had a great time of worship with the couple of songs we both knew at the Blueberry Patch Hostel. 

Well, that's about it for now.  Life is hectic considering all I do is pack up, hike, unpack, boil water, eat, and sleep.  There's always something to be done it seems. 

I'm in high spirits, and looking forward to warmer weather - though I'll be Smokies soon and we may run into snow there too.  Ah well, tis the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment