Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rocks are Hard, but Caffeine is Good

No, that's not my song title to my new country music career (tho' it would be a good one).  Those are the lessons I learned a couple days ago on the Trail.  I have seen many forms of trail terrain - tree roots, soft dirt, mud, streams, rocky bald, grassy balds, etc.  A couple days ago I found loose shale anywhere from the size of gravel to fist size.  It was scattered all over the tops of other buried rocks and tree roots.  It was REALLY hard work with all the shifting as you stepped, and you just couldn't tell what would give you sure footing.  This was during a 20 mile day... in the Smokies.  I know.  I know.  That was a silly on my part.  It was ok, it worked out in the end.  I made it, and I'm still alive.

A couple days prior to my 20 mile day, I met a couple of trail maintainers.  They shared their lunch of sardines, crackers, and chocolate with me.  Very nice.  Then they gave me this packet of something called "GU".  Apparently, it is an energy gel that contains caffeine.  I figured I'd save it until a day that I really needed a boost of energy.  That was a couple days later.

I was on mile 18 and I felt I had rock bruises all over the bottoms of my feet.  I had slowed way down to a step every 5 seconds or so.  Finally, I just sat down in the middle of the trail, and figured I'd just sleep or cry or wait until a magical flying eagle picked me up.  Then I remember that I had GU.  So I sucked that down along with 2 Excedrin (which also contains caffeine).  Now, keep in mind, I haven't had caffeine since I left Wisconsin.

About 2 minutes later I feel the caffeine hit my system.  I stood up with an immense energy and kept hiking.  I swept past a fellow hiker, Sherwin.  He said it was only 1.6 miles to the shelter, but it was uphill.  I exclaimed, "I have GU. Let's do this!"  He ended up getting into the shelter about 10 minutes after me.

I passed a day hiker, and I could literally SMELL the laundry detergent on him.  Under the influence of caffeine, I didn't have the filter to stop myself from exclaiming to him, "You smell so CLEAN!"  Then I kept walking so I didn't hear what he said in response.

At the top of the hill, it started the descent to the shelter.  In a Curtis-on-Caffeine moment (for those who don't know Curtis, just know he never drinks it either, so it's funny when we can sneak it in him), I just burst out laughing for no apparent reason.  Thankfully, I don't think anyone was around to hear that maniacal moment.

My crash came about 30 minutes after I got to the shelter.  I realized the pain in my feet and just how tired I was.  It was a VERY good night's sleep.  And I was still able to walk 15 miles again the next day.

Life is good.  Keep hiking.


No comments:

Post a Comment